How to talk on DMR and DSTar with no Radio if you have a Computer, Windows 10 operating system, a cheap USB Mic, and speakers that can plug in to your computers 3.5mm speaker jack (note, you can usually use the same earphones you use for your phone if they have a 3.5mm jack) I prefer external speaker/s because my laptop speakers are not that great and I don’t like sticking things in my ears.
Disclaimer I have no interest in any of the companies I list here, and I have not done an exhaustive search for the lowest price, but $99 is low.
- Order the ThumbDV or DV MEGA-DVstick
- https://www.amazon.com/DVMEGA-DVstick-30-Dstar-DMR/dp/B07DM9XVNW Currently $149
- http://nwdigitalradio.com/product/thumbdv/ Currently on sale for $99 and my choice, took 5-6 days to get here.
- Get your DMR number, link to how to video below (no cost):
- Register your call sign with DStar (no cost) link below:
You should have steps 2 and 3 above complete before your device arrives
- Download and install Free BlueDV Software, prebeta.zip from the following link.
- Set Up your system
Note there are few quirks in this video because the guy is a Brit. I set up my DMR on Brandmeister (BM) US 3102. If you have any trouble following this give me a shout and I will walk you through it.
Anyway, if you already own a Windows 10 computer this is the cheapest way to get on DMR and Dstar and enjoy everything they have to offer.